22 October 2011

les chats française


Madeline belly up - Italian Ice in foreground

I thought it was high time I introduced Genevieve and Madeline. They're not French, but actually chats americain
 with noms francais. Madeline is 6 years old, fat, likes everyone, and spends most of her time belly up.Genevieve is 5 years old, slim and trim, loves only me and scared of everyone else. She spends most of her time on me when she's not pulling push pins out of the wall. They are both black and white and sweet all over. Madeline is named after the main character (a little French girl) in the book Madeleine. Yes, I spell my Madeline's name without the second 'e" so folks know it's pronounced with a long "i".



Genevieve removing push pin


sweet Genevieve napping on me
Madeleine in the book was once rescued by a very clever dog whom she adopted, and named Saint. Genevieve - Patron Saint of Paris! I've always loved that name, so it was perfect for Madeline's new kitten friend.

5 week old Genevieve
Madeline was not nearly as thrilled as I with new baby Genevieve. In fact she hated her guts. An arduous year passed before they learned to live with each other.

considering coming out
luring Freddie with treats
And then there's Freddie. I inherited Freddie when I moved into my present south Austin abode.

Freddie is an outdoor cat; his idea not mine. I forced him indoors during last winter's ice & snow episode, and he freaked. He was inside two days, and after getting him out from under the dry sink, he couldn't wait to go back outside in the snow. I give up.

Genevieve enjoying some fresh air
I've decided that only Genevieve will make the move to Paris with me. Of course, I'll miss Madeline, but she is quite easy-going and will be happy living with my sister or my friend Nicole (much to her husband's dismay).  Genevieve, on the other hand, would be traumatized beyond belief if I tried to leave her with someone. I would never consider such a thing as I could not bear to be without her. I can just see her, sitting in the window of my Paris apartment taking in all the new sights and sounds.

You may have guessed that Genevieve is my favorite. I can't help it, she just is. I could go on and on about my kittehs, but I shan't bore the non-cat lovers any further.

Nombres Francais
Tonight is the last cours de francais of the first session. It has been fantastique. The second session starts next Saturday!
Last week we learned how to write out numbers. Let me give you an example:
387 = tois-cent-quatre-vingt-sept.  How wild is that? When numbers get up into the thousands and millions, it is crazy! I can spit out my phone number fairly well if I do say so myself.

Goings On
There are all kinds of fab things to do this weekend in Austin and in Paris. Here are just a few.

Austin:
Gypsy Picnic Trailer Food Festival
Austin Film Festival
Texas Book Fair

Paris:
Salon du Chocolat
Le Journal D'une Fille Perdue (The Diary of a Lost Girl)
Exposition (Faux du Logis)

Profiter du week-end!
                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment